A few days ago I sent Eden a message on Facebook:
Dear Eden,
Just want to let you know I read your blogs and I love them. I often feel like sending a comment, but then I think 'why would she be interested in my 2 cents worth?'
Your blogs on India are great. I live in India (in Bangalore) and I know what you are talking about, I know the smells, the sights and how overwhelming it all can be. I love the way you describe what you see and do and I can relate to it. Here in South India it is not as bad as in Delhi and Mumbai for instance, but I have seen the slums there too.
I do volunteer work in a slum for a project that empowers women by running their own company. They make bags out of used tetra packs and cement bags. It is great to see how they can provide for their (extended) family and how their children can get an education.
Thank you for your blog and for your view on things!!!
Fokkelien
And...she replied :-D
Fokkelien, thank you so much for emailing me! The most favourite part of my time here so far has been meeting women who are getting empowered. It's just fantastic, I love it so much. Today we travelled out to some "nicer" slums in Raipur, met with some women who are sewing curtains and clothes and earning enough to start businesses. Good on you for living in this country .. how do you even do it?! Amazing.
Love to you xx
That question: "how do you even do it?!" makes me feel a bit awkward. It isn't hard for me at all to live here, because I love India with all it's colours and chaos and mess and when it gets too overwhelming I just stay at home. I have the luxury to live in a gated community: as soon as I enter the gates I leave the 'real' India behind and enter a different world.
I think what Eden does is a lot harder. She is visiting the worst slums in the worst areas and gets confronted with people that live in horrible conditions, children that can't go to school or go to a doctor, because there is no money and they have to beg or steal to get something to eat.
It is very daunting and discouraging to see such poverty and on such a large scale. It is easier to close your eyes and refuse to acknowledge it than to get up close and try to find a solution. It seems to be a problem that is impossible to solve.
Over the years Adriaan and I have always tried to help on a small scale. Our idea has been to make sure children can go to school and get proper health care. It is a small drop in the ocean, but a lot of drops do make a difference I am sure.
Good on you Eden for being an ambassador for World Vision and for writing such an inspiring blog! I hope it will get a lot of people to add some drops to the ocean.
Just want to let you know I read your blogs and I love them. I often feel like sending a comment, but then I think 'why would she be interested in my 2 cents worth?'
Your blogs on India are great. I live in India (in Bangalore) and I know what you are talking about, I know the smells, the sights and how overwhelming it all can be. I love the way you describe what you see and do and I can relate to it. Here in South India it is not as bad as in Delhi and Mumbai for instance, but I have seen the slums there too.
I do volunteer work in a slum for a project that empowers women by running their own company. They make bags out of used tetra packs and cement bags. It is great to see how they can provide for their (extended) family and how their children can get an education.
Thank you for your blog and for your view on things!!!
Fokkelien
And...she replied :-D
Fokkelien, thank you so much for emailing me! The most favourite part of my time here so far has been meeting women who are getting empowered. It's just fantastic, I love it so much. Today we travelled out to some "nicer" slums in Raipur, met with some women who are sewing curtains and clothes and earning enough to start businesses. Good on you for living in this country .. how do you even do it?! Amazing.
Love to you xx
That question: "how do you even do it?!" makes me feel a bit awkward. It isn't hard for me at all to live here, because I love India with all it's colours and chaos and mess and when it gets too overwhelming I just stay at home. I have the luxury to live in a gated community: as soon as I enter the gates I leave the 'real' India behind and enter a different world.
I think what Eden does is a lot harder. She is visiting the worst slums in the worst areas and gets confronted with people that live in horrible conditions, children that can't go to school or go to a doctor, because there is no money and they have to beg or steal to get something to eat.
It is very daunting and discouraging to see such poverty and on such a large scale. It is easier to close your eyes and refuse to acknowledge it than to get up close and try to find a solution. It seems to be a problem that is impossible to solve.
Over the years Adriaan and I have always tried to help on a small scale. Our idea has been to make sure children can go to school and get proper health care. It is a small drop in the ocean, but a lot of drops do make a difference I am sure.
Good on you Eden for being an ambassador for World Vision and for writing such an inspiring blog! I hope it will get a lot of people to add some drops to the ocean.
Great blog of a Great Person! thx, Flien
ReplyDelete