Friday, 18 January 2013

Snap out of it, please!

Puberty was not a fun filled period in my life, but my family suffered even more. My mood swings, going from the highest peak to the lowest of low in a matter of minutes sometimes, have influenced family life big time. I think my mother got at the wrong end of the stick  most of the time. We are very alike and clashed a lot (still do sometimes, but we both got older and a little bit wiser I guess).

When I left the house at 18, to go to university in another city, it was a great relieve for my parents and siblings. They loved me, but not my moods....

I had my first child when I was 30, so he will be 16 soon. The other two are 12 and almost 14. Puberty has taken residence in our house and will stay for a few more years to come, but so far it has kept relatively quiet. The boys have changed a lot physically, eat like mad and are tired/lethargic most of the time, but no major tantrums (yet).

Having children in your 30s means they hit puberty when you go though the opposite of it: meno pause. I was hoping a full on puberty nightmare would have given me some credits to go through meno pause with a bit of a lesser bang, but I am afraid not. The mood swings are here full on, feeling sorry for myself with no reason whatsoever, crying over nothing and getting mad over silly things, o how I recognise these feelings from way back when...  There is one important difference now: I have a husband and children. Sure, it wasn't fun for my family back then, but I can claim temporary insanity, now I can potentially ruin my boys' childhood and even my marriage.

It is so hard to snap out of these moods, but I have to find a way. I don't want to be the grumpy spoil sport that my kids get afraid of and friends don't want to be around and I sure don't want to alienate my husband. I am a big girl now, so I should man up!

But how? Hormone replacement? Alcohol? Therapy?

Any advise?


PS

I think I found a way to deal with it: share with some good friends over lunch and laugh about it, then text your husband to say sorry and please bare with me....
That is what worked for me today :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment