Friday, 6 February 2015

TG for duct tape!

Our house here in India is huge and has super high ceilings (up to 8 meters!). Those high ceilings are great in summer, since warm air rises and it keeps the house a bit cooler, but they are a pain in the @#$ when it comes to changing light bulbs or cleaning the fans.
We have a window in our bedroom that is leaking when it rains. I have had it 'fixed' a few years ago, but that event still gives me nightmares (people hanging upside down from the roof top) so now we just put some towels under it when it rains.
It turns out that the window is made out of two pieces. I figured that out on a windy night this week, when I heard it rattle and saw it move back and forth. It looked like it could break or fall down any minute, so something needed to be done about it.

I don't know much about DIY, but I do know that everything can be fixed with duct tape :-)

Only problem: the window is at four meters and we don't own a ladder that is long enough to reach. So out we went to rent a bamboo ladder down the street at the sum of INR 250/= (3,50 euro) and took it home. That was the easy part...

The ladder-rental place down the road ('our' ladder is the one on the left)

That roof rack was a great investment

The first puzzle was to get the ladder inside the house and upstairs. We decided it would be best to haul it up to the balcony instead of going through the house.

Joshua and Vincent, wondering what they have gotten themselves in to


And it is upstairs

and inside

They say men are bad at estimating length, but I am not that good at it either apparently. It turned out the ladder was a bit too tall to stand upright....

How are we going to do this?

Almost there
So we finally got the ladder in the right position, the top leaning on the windowsill and the bottom firmly against the wall. The only thing left for me was to climb up there with the duct tape and scissors to fix the problem.
I got half way up the ladder and it started to bend so much that I decided to send one of the boys up, since they are much lighter than I (aren't I a great mother to leave the scary and dangerous stuff to my kids?).

Ruben went up and managed to put the tape on the glass.

Child labour

Beautiful!
PS

In case you are wondering why the boys are home on a Friday: it's sportsday at school and the smart @#$-es made sure they didn't get selected for any of the events... I am such a good mother for keeping them home and out of the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment