Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Fun filled chaos

Today was my first day "solo" at the slum to give English lessons. I came well prepared and ready to go, so after greeting everyone, I told the ladies I was going to start in 5 minutes and went to the class room to get the books out. Soon someone came up to me asking if I was planning to teach there, because they were expecting a group of American students to come in any minute and they needed the room...

So 10 minutes later I managed to get 3 of the 7 from the group to join me for the lesson in the store room, the others were too busy making the bags* or just couldn't be bothered because they had too much fun chatting and listening to music.
The lesson went well till all the American students were shown around and all filed into the store room to have a look at the bags for sale. So that was it for the morning, 30 minutes instead of 2x 45minutes.

In the midst of all the chaos I had some nice conversations with different people and cuddled the cutest baby ever (apart from my 3 babies of course).

It was a morning well spent!

* The women I teach are working for Anu. This is what it says on the label that comes with the bags:


"A sustainable business enterprise set up for and by women from the slums of Janakiram, Bangalore. Anu provides respectable work and creche facilities for young mothers with children aged 3 and under."


The women make bags from discarded cement bags which they embroider or from juice cartons. There are 19 women from the slum working at Anu at the moment and a lot of volunteers, to help out with day to day things, to teach English or to raise funds.

No comments:

Post a Comment