Our boys are Dutch, but have only lived in The Netherlands for 3 years in a row and some months in between postings,due to evacuations. Only one of them was actually born in The Netherlands.
It makes me wonder sometimes 'Where do we belong?' I think for Adriaan and myself the answer is still The Netherlands, but for the boys it might not be. Should I worry about that? How important is it to feel you belong somewhere? Is it part of your identity? Can you really be a global citizen?
When we go on leave to The Netherlands, "Home leave", we say we are going home for the holidays. We do have a house there. But when the time comes to go back to Bangalore, we also say we are going home again. Sounds schizophrenic, but it feels quite right and we really do feel at home in both places.
Adriaan and I love this way of living, moving to a new place every 4 years, but the children have no say in the matter. So far they seem fine with it, but how will it affect them in the long run? Hard to tell and I do worry sometimes.
So far it looks like we belong wherever we live at that moment. One thing I know for sure:
We belong together as a family!
Always keep that statement in mind! Wij hebben express voor een langere termijn in de States gekozen (dat kunnen we gelukkig redelijk zeker zelf bestemmen) zodat de kinderen in ieder geval een thuisland hebben. Vooral op deze leeftijd (high school) is dat erg belangrijk. Gerald heeft natuurlijk heel wat leerlingen gehad die om de twee/ drie jaar verhuizen en die behoorlijk ontheemd waren. Natuurlijk zijn er ook voordelen maar makkelijk is het niet. Gelukkig zijn jullie allebij Nederlanders en jullie hebben ook een eigen huis daar. Dat geeft ook een goed anker...
ReplyDelete