I have high hopes that my boys grow up as world citizens with open minds and without prejudice, but maybe I am a bit naive. Time will tell.
Every Tuesday morning I go to the ANU project to teach English to a group of women. They make bags out of tetra packs and cement bags to earn some money. One of the volunteers bought some bags last week to give as presents to friends in The Netherlands. When she got home she had a good look at the bags and felt she couldn't take them to Europe.... Too much of a difference in cultures I'd say. See if you agree:
The two bags she bought with the design that might not be taken lightly in Europe....
The swastika is a very old and very common sign in India, symbolising 'auspiciousness' or good luck. Thanks to Hitler most Europeans won't be able to look at it in that way anymore. You might even get molested walking around with one of those bags.
Still, whatever the design and however you feel about it, I think it is an art to make this out of used tetra packs!

No comments:
Post a Comment