Friday, 24 February 2012

Stereotypes

The latest craze on Facebook is posting photo collages with stereotypes of people, jobs or countries. They are very funny but they also make you think about the (mis)conceptions there are.

Two examples (again copy-pasted from FB, no idea who has the copy write...)


So who has the right perception of us Dutchies? I remember how princess Maxima (the wife of our crown prince Willem Alexander), got into trouble when she stated that "The typical Dutch person doesn't exist". 
There is some truth in every stereotype I guess. I don't smoke 'wiet', I don't know any of the Dutch folk dances and we don't go on holidays with a caravan, but I know Dutch people who do. We do/did own/owned (depending on what is still left of our stuff in Libya) clogs and orange outfits and we have worn them to many a get together where a Dutch touch was required, and proudly. And how I miss my bike (Libya again). I had one boy in a seat on the front, one in a seat on the back, a trailer for schoolbags and shopping and a boy on his own bike next to me (holding on to him with one hand on his back/neck) not so long ago. But I never cycled holding an umbrella...




How true is this one??? I always have a hard time finding an answer when someone asks me what I do all day? I keep myself fairly busy, but with what? Not with travelling and massages, although that would be bliss I am sure. I guess the 'What I think I do' is fairly accurate haha. The 'What I really do' picture is not correct in my case (I never sit on our table like that haha).

If you would ask me now my answer for today would be: 'getting up way too early to get the boys of to school, fed, watered and properly dressed, tidying up the house, drinking coffee with my husband, check my mail and Facebook, read the news, read blogs and write my own blog while in between I do the dishes and loads of laundry.' It is not even 10 AM yet!

So do you fit into a stereotype?

No comments:

Post a Comment