Monday, 11 March 2013

Kevin




Image from the internet
 

When we lived in Tripoli, our neighbour Barry thought Simon looked just like the boy from Home Alone (Collin McCulkin?) so he called him Kevin. After a while Simon was little Kevin and Barry was big Kevin.

I feel like Kevin now...

Sunday morning 3:45hr we waved off Joshua on his way to the airport (yes, Adriaan and I stayed home, Joshua didn't really want/need us to come along), for his school trip to the Andaman Islands.
Ruben left that same morning at 9:45hr, to go white water rafting on the Ganges close to Haridwar in the North of India. Again we waved him off from our doorstep, because at 14 you don't want to be seen with your mum in public (especially when she wants to hug and kiss goodbye with your friends around).
So then there was one, just Kevin, for a whole Sunday. He loved it.

This morning Simon left at 7:00hr on the school bus to go on his, 3 day, school trip. He was all excited.

Now I am Kevin...

I really want the boys to have a great time on their camps and I told them not to bother calling unless there was a good reason to. I don't want them to feel they need to keep me posted on everything. No news is good news, right?
But the truth is I would love to hear from them, to know they had a safe trip, to know they are happy, having a good time, not losing their things or getting robbed...

Part of Ruben's trip is a train journey, I only found out last night it was an over night trip...trains in India are not the safest mode of transport....I worry, I keep checking the school's FB page to see if there is a message to say they made it safely to the camp ground...and then there will be the train journey on the way back again.

Joshua will be Island hopping, so that means boats.... again: how safe is that?

Simon is staying close to Bangalore, only a bit more than an hour by bus, but the traffic....


I have to stop thinking like this, it will drive me crazy. It does make me realise my parents were Uber Cool (or really good at hiding their fears) when I was young. They allowed me to do lots of things that would worry me if the boys wanted to do them. Is it because it were different times or because I am too obsessed with my children's safety?

OK, I have to let go. I'll say a few prayers and then I will get on with my life. They will be home again soon, with lots of stories to tell and bags full of laundry.



No comments:

Post a Comment