Thursday, 14 March 2013

Lost in translation

Part of being an expat is getting to know the local language, at least at a basic level like greetings and counting. So far I have been lucky, with only one non-English posting (Libya), but the other postings provided us with some interesting dialects and use of words in a slightly different way from what we had learnt in school. Add that to our non-native English and misunderstandings are easily born.

It always takes a while to 'get an ear' for the English that is being spoken. The word that we use most in the first coupe of weeks at a new posting, especially on the phone, is 'SORRY?'
Trying to find things in a shop can end up in a game of charades, with at least 3 shop attendants looking at you with big eyes and helpful suggestions, but not the item you were looking for.

Yesterday one of my friends told me her driver had said to her "Madam, our blow is not right." Totally confused she asked him to explain and he said "Our blow is too low." That evening he told her he got the job done... (Turned out the tire pressure was too low)

When I write a post for this blog I rely on the spelling check to safe me from mistakes, but sometimes a word is written correctly but is not the word you are supposed to use. It also doesn't correct the structure of the sentences. I hope I haven't made too many silly mistakes that had my readers in stitches...

This a photo I took yesterday (from the car, through the front window, hence the terrible quality) that is a perfect example of the need to check your spelling:


Maybe not so cool....

1 comment:

  1. Hoi Fokkelien, Ik vind je stukjes altijd bijzonder leuk om te lezen en ze zijn ook zo herkenbaar. ;-)
    Deze woord- foto's zijn iedere keer weer geweldig! :-)

    ReplyDelete