Last week I finally spoke to a friend again on Skype. It had been ages since we had been in touch. Somehow we are never online at the same time strangely enough.
We met in Tripoli when I first visited the school and soon we became almost inseparable. Every morning at drop off we would say: "What shall we do today?" or "Where shall we go?" and at the rare occasion that we missed each other at the school grounds, we would would text: 'Coffee?' or 'Lunch?' We even started our own business together, designing iron lanterns and fire dishes, when the ones we had made for ourselves proved to be a hit.
We spent hours talking over coffee or in the car on the way to the souk, so it is safe to say we know each other well.
I was a bit lost when she left Tripoli to go to Dubai and it took me a while to navigate through life in Tripoli 'on my own'. I had enough friends left and my days were filled, but it was different.
So last week we finally spoke again on Skype. We talked about our families and our lifes and all things important. At one point my doorbell rang, so I said: "Hold on one minute, my driver is at the door with the groceries." ....... That is when I ruined my reputation ..... I never realised that what I had said was weird, but to my friend it was proof that I had turned into the prototype of an Expat Wife.
Have I? Maybe I have indeed. Is it bad? I don't know, but I think I am not a lost cause yet. I do realise my life is filled with luxury, but I don't take it for granted. I enjoy it but I don't need it, so i am not 'lost' I think.
My friend has decided not to have a cleaner and the other day she had put a note on the bathroom door to remind her children to put their laundry in the laundry room instead of leaving it ly around on the floor. Her youngest did it once and then came to her and said: "It is your decision not to hire a cleaner, not mine, so don't expect me to do your work again!" Now that is an expat kid if I ever saw one, hahaha ;-).
No comments:
Post a Comment