Sunday, 8 April 2012

Easter Sunday

HAPPY EASTER!!!

This is the first Easter in a long time that we don't celebrate in The Netherlands, with our families. Celebrating special (religious) days abroad are always different. We try to make them as 'normal' as possible, but it always ends up different than expected and somehow that makes it feel a bit less 'real'.

In preparation for today, I had looked for a Catholic Church close by and I had looked up the time for Mass in English. We arrived on time, but the Mass in one of the local languages was still going, so we had to wait (20 minutes). The church was filled to the brim and there was quite a crowd standing outside too.
We found a place to sit inside and the Mass started soon, in Malayalam, the language they speak in Kerala.....



We were sitting in the first half of the church, so you can imagine how big it is. Many a priest in Europe would be dreaming of saying Mass in such a jam packed church.

One of the things that I have always found very comforting about the Catholic rituals, is that they are the same all over the world. So even if you don't understand the language, you still understand the rituals. It makes you feel at home where ever you are.


After Mass we drove home with a stop to buy coconuts and sugar cane juice to drink.



The sugar cane is put in this ingenious contraption. I am always a bit scared his hands will get caught in it too...




Adriaan and Josh with their sugar cane juice (and their funny faces)

We also stopped to have a look at a huge Hanuman statue that is in the process of being put upright. It is done manually with 16 people. It will be at least another month before it is completely installed.



The rest of the day was spent at the pool and at home. We have started a puzzle with 1000 pieces and it turns out to be very addictive to find and fit the right pieces.



My family was at my brother's house for a brunch this afternoon and we have been in touch on Skype, so we have seen each other after all...

Tomorrow the boys and I are going to Mumbai. We have to apply for new passports for the boys on Tuesday. I hope I have all the paperwork I need!

I will end this post with the shop front of a local tailor (or is it?).

1 comment:

  1. Leuk om zo over je leven te lezen! Wij zijn bezig met een (iets minder ambitieus) ouzzel van 500 stukjes. (van Waar is Wally? Ken je dat?)

    ReplyDelete